Monday, January 23, 2012

it's time

It has been sinking in a little more every day that kidding time is near. Only six weeks left until my goats start having kids. It is very exciting! With a goats ability to have more than one kid at a time, it is very easy to double the size of my herd in a months time. I am anxious to see how many kids each doe is going to have, how many girls I'll get, what colors they will each be.

There is always room for improvement in a herd and in its management. There are a few things I would like to try this year. About four weeks prior to kidding, each doe should get a CD&T vaccination to help immunity transfer to the kids. Also the kids need their CD&T around four weeks of age, then boostered in six weeks.

Knowing I have does that are positive for CAE makes kidding time a little more difficult. I do not want it to be transferred to the kids, so that adds extra work. Knowing which does are negative and which are positive is a big help. Hopefully we will get the girls tested before they kid.

Can't wait for baby goaties!

1 comment: